British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> And Now For Something Completely Different!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bryedal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Help Reply with quote

Anyone got any bright ideas how to get my Boycee to go over the seesaw.
He HATES it Confused
He'll do all the other jumps tunnel tyre weaves etc (haven't tried the 'dog walk' yet) - will walk a plank on a slope or with a small log under so that it tilts a bit, BUT the whole seesaw is a big NO NO even with titbits all the way along Rolling Eyes
Liz
Maggi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried leading another dog over it, giving said dog lots of praise and titbits whilst he watches? That could work. Then put plank up on two or three bricks and get him to walk up and jump off. Then tilty plank over log and gradually work up to it. Best suggestions I can think of.

Maybe leave it out for a time or two so he is less anxious about it and then try the above.
bryedal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Seesaw Reply with quote

Thanks Maggie, tried all those. He will walk up a plank on quite a tall slope and doesn't mind the A frame at all Confused so will go maybe 1/3 way up the seesaw then chickens out Shocked
Lots more time needed to build his confidence I suppose.
Liz
spottydogs3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Liz

You need to keep him on his lead and balance the other end of the seesaw on something so that it doesn't actually move. Then when he is happy with this you get someone to hold the seesaw straight so that it doesn't move, you then walk him on it walking one side and another person walking with him on the other side. Then when he gets to the middle the person holding the seesaw straight very carefully lowers it to the ground and you walk him off. He will then get used to it moving. Some training clubs have lower bases to make the seesaw lower and therefore easier to learn. Hope this makes sense. It is one of the hardest pieces of equipment to learn so don't give up.

Heather
Louis and Sophie
bryedal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: lower Reply with quote

Yes I think it might help him if the seesaw wasn't so high (also if it was wider like the A frame)
We've been trying what you suggest, but he still won't go far up Sad
Liz
milkhillcottage

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Liz,

Are you training with a club or by yourself? I am no expert, only a novice handler myself, but at my club we trained on the dog walk quite a while before we introduced the seesaw. First gained the confidence of the dog at a lower height, before we moved on to the full height on the dog walk. By the time we introduced the seesaw all the dogs were totally confident on the dog walk, so the issue of the width was no problem.

Like Heather suggested - you need another person to hold the seesaw and treat at the point where the dogs weight will naturally lower it. That person then lowers the seesaw for the dog (if that makes sense!). We started on lead and gradually moved offlead but still with the trainer lowering the seesaw for the dog, until they could feel the dog naturally waiting for this itself.

Therefore I would suggest you get the dog confident on the dog walk first and will probably find that it will then take to the seesaw more readily. But always train with other people to help treat etc until it is totally confident. Most of the dogs in my class love their contact equipment so much that we end up spending time in class trying to stop them going over! and my girl has been know to fly up the seesaw (not when asked!!) and fly off the other end before it has had time to tilt! Thankfully it does not seem to have knocked her confidence!

Hope this helps.

regards

Karen
spottydogs3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Liz

Should have read your first post properly before answering Embarassed . Usually dogs have mastered the dog walk before they move on to the see-saw. That way they are used to equipment being narrow. So I would forget the see-saw for now and work on the dog walk. Hopefully then the see-saw won't be so scarey when you do go back to it.

Heather
Louis and Sophie
emmaduck

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seesaw is the last piece of contact equipment my dogs learn - after they are very confident on the dog walk and their contact are sound and proofed on the DW. No point putting him over the Seesaw, having him scare himself and teaching himself to jump off half way down - because he'll do the same on the DW.

The seesaw training I do is the same as Heather - I have 1 dog with which I trained the seesaw before he was totally confident on the DW and guess what - he is still not overly confident on the seesaw. Confused

Have a look at Dawn Weavers "Knowledge equals Speed" she talks a lot about confidence building, be prepared though because it is not an easy read although very interesting
bryedal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Seesaw Reply with quote

Yes it does make sense to master the dog walk before going on to the seesaw Rolling Eyes
I'll suggest it to our trainer next week, meanwhile I'll get him to practice more on a plank in the garden and see if it will help.
Thanks for that suggestion Smile
Liz.
Nicki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably no help but we got Banjo to use his scarey car ramp with the aid of his squeeky toy Laughing or at least it used to squeek before Holly got it Rolling Eyes

Banjoliers PA & Faithful Follower
PyscoFalcon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm sam went over it first time with no problem - it's the collapsable tunnel we have trouble with.

Saying that we started by holding the sew saw so it didn't move - when he got to middle get him to saty and treat then slowly and gently move it then when the other side is on ground let him run off, praise and treat.

We did taht 3 times before seeing if he was onkat and he zoomed over it after Smile
bryedal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Sam Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Sam's obviously not such a 'woozer' as Boycee Laughing Laughing
Liz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> And Now For Something Completely Different! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: