British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello Everyone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Obituaries (Dogs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FelshamsMum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Hello Everyone Reply with quote

Hello Everyone I am new to this forum.

I lost my beloved Dalmatian Felsham aged nearly 14 in July 2006. The day after his 11th birthday he couldn’t get up his legs were paralysed. We think he must have fell or tripped over or something when out in the fields for a walk, he was always going into the bushes and running round like a looney a typical Dally. 3 discs in his spine had slipped with the middle one hitting his spinal cord. To cut a long short, he had an operation at The Willows – a fantastic place in Shirley West Midlands and in a new type of op they inserted a titanium plate to hold the 3 discs and a futher 1 either side in place and cleaned as much of the debris away from his spinal cord as they could. Then it was a waiting game. With me and my boyfirend doing lots of physio on his back legs 5 times a day – after 3 weeks we were able to take him swimming. I always remember the minute he went into the water his little legs began to flicker and twitch backward and forwards, we knew then that he would walk again, and he did. Bless him his tail never lifted high again but he could still wag it really fast he walked really well even if a bit slow but couldn’t climb steps or ever run, and we had to walk him on a flexi lead when out so he had a bit of freedom. He was a strong headed boy and such a character, I always knew that as he got older his legs would probably become weaker. That’s what happened and I had to make that decision that I had been dreading. On 14/7/06 he was unable to get him self up or down anymore, he was ok once up but it meant me lifting him all the time. I had always said that he needed to be able to get him self up and down to get a drink etc – I mean what would happen if I needed to pop out he couldn’t just lie there. We were up all night with him and he let me know it was time; he never attempted to get up and just lay with his head on my lap looking up at me – those big brown eyes looking tired. I had always promised myself that when the time came I wanted the vet to come to my house. In the morning my vet came to the house. He was at home on his beloved blanket with his head on mums lap just how he liked it, when he passed to the bridge. My vet said that he went really quickly he was strong in head and mind but his body was tired and weak. My comfort is that that he was a fantastic boy and had the best life a dog could have had and he had another 3 great quality years after his op. I miss him so so much and life will never be quite the same.

Thanks for listening

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u151/debbiemiller_01/Felshampic.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u151/debbiemiller_01/Felsham1.jpg
Ribblehill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Felshams story Reply with quote

Dear Felshams mum.

A heart felt welcome to you. Thank you for sharing Felshams last and special moments with us.
I hope you find strength and solace from this site.
VJH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Run free Felsham - what a lovely boy xxxx
campervan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad what a hard decision you had to make so much courage, he has gone to a better place though, gorgeous photos Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really sad to read your story. making that final decison is always so hard even when you know it is the right thing to do. Are you going to get another one? I can't imagine our household without. Even if you are not able/ready to have a pup we are always looking for short term foster homes. Last week it was a delightful 7 year old whose owners had three days notice to leave their house. He has spent 6 days in a foster home where they have already fallen in love with him and is off to a permanent home tomorrow. Anne (British Dalmatian Welfare)
FelshamsMum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your support & lovely replies.

I used to take Felsham to my boyfriends every day and go home and walk him at lunch time, this was ideal for him as he was quite old and with his back, but I feel unsuitable for a younger dog. I thought about fostering but because I work full time I was told this was a no no!!, so unfortunately this wasnt an option. BUT I was told about Guide Dog Boarding and that they are in need of people, so I applied to be a full timer boarder and past Very Happy A boarder is where the dog is in the final brown harness stages of training so you could have a dog for 8 months or for 12 weeks etc. You have to be able to take them to the training centre every morning (I work just round the corner) and then collect them in the evening. For me this is fab as I have the company of a well behaved dog needing love and snuggles a night time and at weekends, whilst helping those less fortunate than myself. I went through very rigorous tests (understandably) I have to give 3 reference, have an enhanced criminal records check, a home check and an interview, I did my final training course on 6 June and got a call on Thurs 7 June saying that they were really pleased in the way I handled the dogs and that they had a little yellow Lab called Grace who was very stressed in kennels at night time. I have had her just over a week now an she is an absolute star - no probs at night time at all, she is so very well behaved and loves snuggles and her tummy rubbed. She sleeps in the same places as Felsham (chosen by her not me) - I feel that Felsham is very near helping and watching over me.

In the future when I can hopefully cut dowm my working hours I feel that this will stand me in good stead to help foster resue dogs.

Last edited by FelshamsMum on Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
VJH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oohh wow what a fabulous compromise how wonderful!!!!!!

I know people who do the stage before ie 8 weeks- 1year approx and then pass them onto training.

I have a lab also and waiting for my dal pup Razz
Kate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry for your loss!

Felsham was a beautiful dog and a lucky one too - to have such a caring owner.
Dal n Mal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum. I am new too. Smile

So sorry to hear your story and I feel for you with your loss. Crying or Very sad
Felsham sounds like he was a fighter. Run free and happy at rainbow bridge Felsham. x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Obituaries (Dogs) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: