British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who has other breeds too?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> And Now For Something Completely Different!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VJH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Who has other breeds too? Reply with quote

Hi all

We have a lab and are waiting for our dal pup and I just wondered who has other breeds as well as dals?

Does anyone have labs and dals? Do they compliment each other? My Ruby lab is small petite working lines with energy to burn so not your typical lab - I am used to energy and vigour Razz

We had a dal called Muffin (from muffin the mule) when I was growing up and he was adorable and I have wanted a dal since then as well as a black lab so I am finally at the age of 34 in a position to give 2 dogs the life they deserve - I work from home and live on the edge of the forest now.

Or is it a case or - once you go spotty you never go back?
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For us we always wanted A dog, both my husband and I love Dalmatians and it was an easy choice. Spots are addictive and our second arrived last December. Pepper has been spade probably a good thing as I just know we couldnt resist the thought of puppies. I am more broody over puppies than babies Very Happy Very Happy

Having two is better in some ways, before when walking Pepper she would look for other dogs to play with, now she has Dash they charge around the field tiring each other out. The only down side is the muddy foot prints everywhere Exclamation Rolling Eyes

Debbie, Pepper & Dash

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: bruno the lab and maisy the dal Reply with quote

hi we dont have a lab but my mother in law does he is called bruno and him and maisy are playmates! they spend all weekend together my other dog fred is a cairn terrier and hes not so bothered once hes played for a while he just goes in his bed. hope this helps? Very Happy
dogtired

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: other breeds Reply with quote

We have a German Shorthaired Pointer and the Dalmatian.

They are the best of mates. Both being very energetic dogs works as they wear each other out. We can walk 2 - 3 miles and you know they will do double that chasing each other. The funny thing is the gsp does his thing, hunting, chasing and hiding and the dal does his trot, trot, trot.

Then they go mad as hell chasing and running after each other. Then back to their own thing. It is so funny to watch the Dal looking for the GSP hiding in the shrub. The GSP has really short sharp burst of running to get in front and the dal barks for him to wait. As the dal passes the GSP leaps at him and then they tumble all over the place. They really compliment each other. Or if I dont have time for a good walk we can just go to a field and a couple of balls works too as they play so well together. Or even the garden.

Mind you GSP brains and Dal stubborness can lead to interesting mischief!

I do think Dals suit having a companion. But they have to be of similar type. I know someone with a Basset and a Cocker Spaniel. The bassett collapses just as the springer is warming up!! If we go out together the Bassett stays at home.
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a lab when we got our first (as a couple) dal, and they were brilliant together.

The lab was very funny with each litter of dal pups, because she loved them until the spots started coming through. That was when her hopes that they were labs were dashed - "Oh no, not more spotties!" and she stopped paying them so much attention! Very Happy
VJH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe awwwwww thanks everyone - I cant wait to have 2 dogs - I know Ruby will love it too Wink

Just because I love her here is a picture of my beautiful girl Razz

lean lines - not your show type lab at all

dogtired

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: ruby Reply with quote

She is a beaut.. That's how labs look their best nice, lean and healthy.
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours is beautiful!

This was my Bella. She was from working lines too.
VJH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awwww thanks guys - she is gorgeous isnt she Very Happy She is weeny lab at 20kg but stands 21inches to withers.

Bella is beautiful!!!!!!! Did she have energy to burn? Ruby is a hyper looney lab which I LOVE the energy pings off her - which is one of the reasons we started thinking a dal was for us.

I have a white cat too so think Henry (our dal pup we are waiting for) will match perfectly hehe Wink
geds

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what lovely girls they look where i used to live there was a family with 2 girls chocolate and yellow look nothing like that really portly looking.when are you getting your spotty girl near future or just a twinkle in her daddys eye dont suppose any one has a beagle with a dally my hubbys fav dog wich if he could get he would
VJH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
look nothing like that really portly looking.
hehe I belong to a lab forum too and lots there are really really different shape to Ruby - and carrying a lot more weight too. I love Rubys style of lab Wink

Quote:
when are you getting your spotty girl near future or just a twinkle in her daddys eye
we are getting aboy and calling him Henry Razz I found a fabulous breeder last year and we are now waiting for dam to come into season - I am trying to be patient hehe as I know you have to let nature take its course hehe

Ohhh I love Beagles - I dont know any though
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bella was a bigger girl, standing at about 23" and weighing about 26 kilos. She was the easiest dog I've ever had to train - she only had to be shown something once and she'd learned it, and she lived to be 'doing', which suited us as we didn't want a couch potato!

She was carrying home the newspaper from the shop at 13 weeks without damaging it, and was incredibly useful at picking things up for me when I was hugely pregnant and couldn't bend! And walks near water involved her being in it - she'd much rather swim along the canal than walk along the towpath. She was the one who fetched things from the water, and when she got to shore the dal would mug her for the retrieve and bring it back without getting wet. Not daft!

We once met a young blind man out for a walk with his parents, and he made a fuss of Bella, and asked if he could play with her. Of course we said yes, and he threw her stick for her. She went and fetched it and hearing her return the young man bent forward with both hands held out - and she carefully placed the stick neatly and gently into his open hands then stood back waiting for him to throw it again.

A brilliant dog.

The stocky show-type labs just don't float my boat; I like a dog with more muzzle (and muscle!).
VJH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awwwwww she sounds like an angel - Ruby is a swimmer too Razz we do agility and obedience and she is a dream to train. She is very nervous though so I spend lots of time buiding her up to be more confident - but at nearly 2 you wouldnt really know she was nervous - although I went though a set of tyres socailising her to everything and anything in her first year

Is Bella no longer with you? Sad Ruby is my first dog and I cannot imagine life without her or having to face the inevitable Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad although I have told her she has to live until 10 mins before I pass away hehehehehe
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly Bella died ten years ago, aged 13. Now the memories are all good ones, and the sad ones healed. Smile
VJH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awwwww lovely Bella running free forever young Razz Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> And Now For Something Completely Different! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: