British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

she wont stay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> And Now For Something Completely Different!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maisy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: she wont stay Reply with quote

hi maisy is 13 weeks old and she will sit, lay tell me when she needs a wee but no matter how hard i try she will not stay she just follows me after i have tried for about 10 mins she gets fed up and wonders off. im just not sure if im trying to get her to do to much to soon.
thanks
corinne and maisy moo cow
geds

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casper is the same and he is a year old the only way he will stay if someone is with him have tried on and off lead so if any one has any tips
from ged & casper
VJH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the way I did it with Ruby lab - we clicker trained but the concept is the same

Make sure they know you have tasty treats and get them to sit in front of you

Then take a step back and if they dont move click (or praise) and treat

Keep doing this and gradually gradually increase the time - 10 seconds, 20 seconds etc etc then move back to 2 steps and start the same thing again.

Next stage would be turning sideways to them so you havent got your back to them but not the front so halfway house

Next stage would be walking around or out of sight or whatever you wish.

HTH
VJH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I forgot to say - put the word in when they have successfully not moved about 10 times when you are one pace away. I also use the hand signal (palm up hand out front like a policemans stop sign)
spottydogs3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember she is only still a baby and you must only keep your training to a couple of minutes at this stage. The way I have trained mine is to put them on the lead and have them sitting next to you. Keep the lead behind her head and hold it up (hope this makes sense) then say 'stay' and take a step to the side. Wait only a couple of seconds and then step back. If she is sitting then give her lots of praise and a little treat. Don't do it for more than a couple of times and build it up over a few weeks. When she is sitting well and knows what you mean then start standing in front of her. If she moves don't say anything and definately don't say 'no' you need to praise her when she gets it right and ignore her when she gets it wrong.

Don't expect too much to soon, little and often is fine otherwise they get bored.

Hope this helps it is how I trained mine.

Heather
Lara and Louis

P.S. The clicker is also very good but it is important to get the clicks in at the right time otherwise you can end up praising them for doing something wrong!
Spottydog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES...some very good advice here..and..remember..she is still a BABY !!
have fun with your training and let us know how it goes..........
maisy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI EVERYONE THANKS FOR ALL THE TIPS IM TRYING THEM IF I TELL HER TO SIT WHEN WE ARE OUT WALKING SHE WONT MOVE UNTIL I SAY SHE CAN WHICH IS A START!!!
TRYING TO DO IT WITH HER DINNER BUY SHE IS SO GREEDY SHE IS FINDING IT REALLY HARD LOL Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> And Now For Something Completely Different! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: