British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Piper's first puppy training class

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> And Now For Something Completely Different!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gillieworm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Piper's first puppy training class Reply with quote

Piper went to her first puppy training class on Saturday morning and she loved it Very Happy She was a little star and did everything she was asked to do first time and was so calm the whole way through (such a refreshing change after having a constant weekly battle of wills with Logan while we are training for his Silver Laughing )

I think we both thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to take her back next week.

I only have 1 very slight gripe (surprise, surprise Rolling Eyes ). When we were doing a road walk to the park for a toilet break from the training centre getting all the puppies to walk to heel, I was being followed by a lady with a border collie pup who was obviously not doing so well, she said "oh come on walk properly, look even the Dalmatian can do it, and if they can you should be able to"

I bit my tongue and carried on walking with my head held high as my Dalmatian walked beautifully Wink
Jasper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's strange how people perceive Dalmations to be some sort of demonic, untrainable dog and in some way different to any other breed.

At least we know different
dogtired

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Look Even The Dalmatian!!!!!! Reply with quote

Quote:
look even the Dalmatian can do it,

Well fancy wasting your time trying to train a Dalmatian Laughing Laughing Laughing

Can't you teach piper to bark "Bog Off", or at least wee so it runs towards them Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Quote:
dog and in some way different to any other breed

But they are Shocked There is only one other dog as good as my Dallie and that is my GSP Wink
Anne Dickens

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Even Dalmatians Reply with quote

Yesterday we met a couple in the woods with a GWP. I was walking my two and a friend's so had three with me. The GWP - called Eric - came charging round the corner to the pond - and found it full of Dalmatians! He was a bit put out...

Anyway, when his owners arrived they said - Ah, aren't they beautiful. But we've heard that Dalmatians are the most difficult breed to train and you have to be an expert!

So there's the up side - maybe we can all count ourselves experts!!

Anne
dogtired

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalmatians are easy to train as they have a willing nature and an eagerness to please. Excessive praise when they have done well is important. It is, however, as easy for them to learn bad habits as well as good so do remember their determination, and, especially the dominant nature of male dogs.

First time I have seen it in writing except on here!!!! This was from the breed discription on Pet Planet.
gillieworm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogtired wrote:
Dalmatians are easy to train as they have a willing nature and an eagerness to please. Excessive praise when they have done well is important. It is, however, as easy for them to learn bad habits as well as good so do remember their determination, and, especially the dominant nature of male dogs.

First time I have seen it in writing except on here!!!! This was from the breed discription on Pet Planet.

Finally someone has actually done their homework!!!!! Good on pet planet
donothing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: cost of training Reply with quote

Bailey has recently passed her Bronze award - she is 5 months old this weekend - we originally went for socialization as there are no other dogs near where we live, and to car train her as we have to get to class by car - my only gripe is why do they have to run 8pm - 10pm! however I was shocked at the difference in costs: We pay 5 per year to join the community centre where the classes are held, 2 per class, which goes to the council and 2 registration fee per year to the trainers who are all qualified which to me is not bad however while getting Bailey's nails clipped at a well known Kennels I was shocked to be asked if we wanted to enrol Bailey for just 79.95 for 7 one hour lessons in basic socialization, if I wanted training for her as well that would be another 79.95 for 7 one hour group lessons however she would have to prove she was socialized and well behaved to enrol! The community centre holds lessons for 45 weeks of the year, you can progress through the grades and never leave if you do not want to, if we went for the 45 weeks with registration fees the cost is 97 for 2 hour classes however 14 weeks with the kennels would be nearly 160 for 1 hour classes - and from what we watched no they did not fit more in, if anything people appeared just to be sitting around and chatting while their dogs, still on leads, were deperate to get their owners attention.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> And Now For Something Completely Different! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: