British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Page viewing setup - can only see half the page

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> How to join and use the forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nahatalie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Page viewing setup - can only see half the page Reply with quote

I just wondered if there anything I can do about the setup of how I see the forum. I dont know if this how everyone sees it, but for me I only see a small amount of the page at a time and have to use the scroll bar to go up and down, which wouldnt be necessary if the page fit my computer screen. In the background there is the British Dalmatian Club website. I'm just a bit confused that the forum is layered on top of this. Is there any way I can reach the forum without having to go through the BDC website so that I can view the forum as a full page? Thanks
Flygirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never discovered a way of doing that, but I would like to be able to see the full width when a post with a link or a photo goes wider than the width of the page and then all subsequent posts are too wide, so that a few words of every line are missing. Confused

www.elizabethsampsonpiano.co.uk
www.dalstorm.co.uk
www.nuadalseurope.co.uk
http://tyrodal-nuagene.blogspot.com/
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The website is best viewed with your computer set up with a screen resolution of 1024x768. This applies to the entire website not only the forum.
Flygirl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My computer is set with this screen resolution, but I always lose part of the text when a large picture is posted and there is no way to scroll horizontally. So for instance, if Sandra posts with her lovely photo of the Cocker Spaniel puppies, then I lose part of everyone's post from then on. I have tried with Firefox and Windows Explorer and it makes no difference. Does anyone else have this problem?

www.dalstorm.co.uk
www.nuadalseurope.co.uk
gillieworm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have the exact same problem Flygirl. I either give up with the post or copy and paste all the text into my email to read it Laughing
Flygirl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's strange, because I also visit another forum for paraglider pilots, which has a similar format and also powered by phpbb, but you are able to scroll horizontally, so even if someone posts a photo which has not been downsized, it is still possible to view all the information, even if it's a little tedious.

www.dalstorm.co.uk
www.nuadalseurope.co.uk
nahatalie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, can't this forum set up be modified by either putting in a horizontal scroll bar, or having a rule that pictures should be a certain size in order to prevent the lost text thing?
paultennent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

limiting the size of the pictures is difficult as the phpbb forum (the type this is) uses symbolic links to display images. The images are stored elsewhere and the code just goes and gets them. With images stored in the album there is more control, but this is achieved by limiting the physical size when the image is uploaded, so the same method can be used. The problem really relates to the fact that the forum is a page embedded within a wider page.

To be honest, the easiest and most generically applicable solution to this is to pull the whole forum out of its containing frame (though it'd be less pretty) and replicate the lost links from the top within the forum header. Different browsers handle scroll bars in different ways. For example, if I access the page on my iPhone, I can't even scroll vertically - though I can scroll the page itself, I can't scroll the insert where the forum page is, making the page tantalising, but essentially useless. This will be the same for anyone with a screen unable to display the required resolution.

by taking the page out of the frame, you will get both vertical and horizontal scrollbars, so when those giant images appear, it won't kill all the text in that topic.

It's fairly easy to create title bar themes for phpbb so it would be easy enough to have the page looking distinctively dally - following the theme of the main BDC pages, and the sizing problems could be automatically sorted.

Just my 2 pennies, as a humble human-computer-interaction lecturer Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> How to join and use the forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: