British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help: Agression towards other dogs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emmaduck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stay away from the spray collar until she is seen by a behaviourist - I'm not suprised she growls at other dogs after what happened, and any bad timing might make her see the other dogs as more of a threat not less.
It looks like she is taking charge of situations now as she clearly thinks no one else is. They might want to make it obvious to the dog that the humans are capable of dealing with other dogs, ie putting themselves in between the children and other dogs, and not allowing their dog to eye up or start stalking other dogs. They also need to look at who genuinely is in charge on walks - who says where they go and when.
Obviously a big bag of cheese or sausage wouldn't go amiss for all the times she behaves as required Very Happy

At the end of the day only someone who knows what they are doing and has actally seen the dog can give proper advice
Anne Gurnsey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies so far. Interestingly enough we (welfare ) have today received a report from a behaviorist on one of our dogs who had been attacked and she suggested and demonstrated lots of techniques to deal with this. They were mainly reward based and teaching the command "leave" and using either a rattle can or a spray collar the moment any agression is detected. I have passed on these tips to Mia's owners. Anne
Hebemor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is down to distracting the aggressive dog and getting it to focus its attention on some thing else ie its owner and treating the good behaviour. would help if a friend has a dog that can be used as a stooge. Still think the technique for handling the dog are best demonstrated direct though.
Colin
Anne Gurnsey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Colin, it is probably true that demonstration is best. . Our behaviourist said that she usually found she had to demonstrate the technique first so owners can recognise the signs and then can usually follow the actions through. I think a bit like Gillieworm on this forum she was feeling that no-one can help and so it was pleasing to see other successes. Anne
Burley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so pleased I cam across this thread as we've had a few problems with Luca too - he's 2.5 but had to start learning everything from scratch at about 15 months when we rehomed him as he knew nothing! so I'm not surprised he's a little bit later than the other boys - bless him.
He has definitely started being dominant to some dogs (which he never used to do!!) and can get aggressive when he's on the lead when meeting other dogs on leads. I have hope now that it is a problem that can be dealt with and will continue to try and stay on top of things with him.
PyscoFalcon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I've been exprimenting with Sam Laughing

He's 75% agressive on the lead and on short walks he's 50 - 50 off lead.

When take him on longer walks where he can run around off lead he's only agressive 15% of the time and that's mostly when owener grab there dog away from him and try to shoo him off (even tho the other dog wan'ts to play)

Unless it's a staffie then he want's to kill it no matter what Laughing

So could it be over excitment and hyperisim that makes them more likely want to snap?
fi_broon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with gettng a behaviourist, we're having to do the same for our boy. He has been improving off late but last night there were 2 dogs barking in a garden with a chain link fence. Well, Osiris starts going nuts trying to lunge etc when my husband nudged his back end to turn him. He responded by spinning and biting my husbands leg, hard enough to draw blood through a pair of jeans. Now he's terrified to take him to the parks we go to play off lead in case the same happens. I have a behaviourist in mind, but need to see my vet first as if I have a referral my insurance will pay $350 towards it. (I'm an expat in Canada). I hope we all have success with our spotty louts.

Fiona
Nicki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the same probs with Banjo Embarassed he started about 18 months old but we put it down to the fact every other dog he met growled at him so as he got bigger & older i think he thought stuff this ill get in first Rolling Eyes It was mainly black labs & springers but not every one & only full dogs.

He is now 3 1/2 & had is op about 6 weeks ago which we hoped would cure his temper a bit, it has done so far off the lead as i distract him with a tennis ball which he is addicted to Laughing but I had him on the lead going off the beach last week & he went straight for the kill on a lab on a lead going on to the beach Embarassed & then on another day we were in the dunes & Holly went into her guard dog mode as 2 huge newfoundlands appeared minding there own business untill 1 decided to sniff Banjos tail & all hell broke out Rolling Eyes Yesterday I put him on his lead as there was a herd of ankle biters approching & I wasnt going to take the chance & he started growling untill i waved his ball under his nose & he was ok.

I read somewhere it can take a while for the hormones to settel down so hopefully he will get better, he stays closer to us now instead off runing off into the sunset so thats a good thing atleast Laughing

I dont know if anyone else thinks this but i think he picks up my feelings when i have him on the lead & thinking too much about the other dog on its way & wether he is going to kick off or not, ive tried not thinking about it & being positive with Banjo & distracting him & he does seem better, its a shame as he is such a big soffty with the dogs he does like except Holly if she nicks the ball Rolling Eyes

Banjoliers PA & Faithful Follower
emmaduck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been on a workshop today with a behaviourist, and funnily enough this was the first subject that came up. He said that basically our dogs are saying we're better than you (the other dog) and they don't understand why we would interupt them putting the other dog in its correct place.

He said that we need to greet the other dog first to say to ours that we've checked them out (as boss) and we think they are ok and then they are allowed to say hello - or not (depending if they want to).
Its kind of difficult to explain how he did it in writing, but it looked pretty simple (as long as you have your dog on a lead lol). I'm off to practice tomorrow with both my adult dogs (who will no doubt wonder what the hell I'm doing!). And it was all to do with doggie language, both body and vocal - no pushing and pulling around of the dog.
If anyone wants more details of who I saw please feel free to pm me - it was really really interesting and well worth the money. The session was organised by another forum - if there are enough people interested (about 10 dogs) in a particular area then I'm sure the same thing could be sorted with him.

Emma

PS I did come away thinking OMG I'm a terrible mother - why didn't I see/understand that already. It make so much sense Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: