British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any sewers out their? (that's people who can sew)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> And Now For Something Completely Different!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fred22

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Any sewers out their? (that's people who can sew) Reply with quote

I'm now interested in sewing, I think there's another thing I could put in my signature along with inventor and banjolier and master baker. I know, I'm like a boy scout collecting badges. Anyway Ned has got a rip in his beautiful new equafleece due to someone not removing it at playtime Rolling Eyes and I am going to have to patch it. Do I also need to sew up the rip or is a patch either side sufficient?
milkhillcottage

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Personally I would blanket stitch up the whole of the rip before placing a patch over the whole thing. Otherwise the rip will potentially carry on and grow under the patch.

regards

Karen

PS Impressed that a bloke would even think about the "make do and mend" option.
Maggi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't do sewing so when that kind of emergency happens I ask my mum Embarassed Embarassed Do you want me to ask her?

Hows the cake making coming along - I've just made our Christmas Cake cos these foreigners don't have proper cakes. Just need to keep it from the spotted jaws...
Flygirl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put a patch on the underside of the rip (the side that can't be seen) and use my special mending zigzag stitch on my sewing machine that strengthens the tear and makes it relatively invisible, choosing a thread that matches the colour of the fabric. Then I would trim the patch on the other side to the stitching. Shall I start a new doggy clothing repair business? Confused Laughing

www.elizabethsampsonpiano.co.uk
www.dalstorm.co.uk
www.nuadalseurope.co.uk
http://tyrodal-nuagene.blogspot.com/
KissCass

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do sewing. I would get an iron on patch for underneath and hope for the best. Having said that not sure if fleece would take sufficient heat and would therefore probably go for a glue on one. Mind you, I have also been known to use sellotape (hopeless) staples (ouch) and safety pins (cool look).
Mortissues

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a sellotape and staples girl! I can remember going into an important meeting once with the hem of my trousers stuck up with tape, every time I moved it crackled Embarassed
Maggi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mortissues and Kisscass - girls after my own heart!!
PyscoFalcon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as I don't own any machine and do all my sewing by hand (taking me forever to do my first blanket) then I sew around the rip to stop it ripping more - strengthen the fabric as it were.

Then I would sew patch on top and patch on bottom Smile
VictoriaPlum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Any Sewers Out There (That's People Who Sew) Reply with quote

Hello Fred 22.

Yes, I am a sewer and yes our two wear equafleeces. Rowley was wearing his old coat and caught it on a barbed wire fence as he went underneath last year tearing a large hole in it. Jessie tore her 'dayglo' coat on some brambles the other day in the fog, hence the dayglo. I repaired Rowley's old blue coat with bright red cotton polyester thread and small neat blanket stitch as it was a jagged rip. The dayglo coat had a straight tear so I used a pale grey polyester cotton thread and a slight weaving/ over stitch which pulled the edges together so that the colour of the cotton couldn't be seen,the tear was towards the back and was about 4 inches long, it just looks like an extra dart and is not noticeable. I was very pleased with my handiwork. I have found that a very fine sewing needle is best and that the polyester thread needs to be double. I hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Vicki
Nicki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its the sleeve thats riped take them both off & then you have a nice waist coat Laughing

Banjoliers PA & Faithful Follower
gillieworm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're reversed in our house, any sewing needs doing my fella does it Embarassed
Mortissues

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gillieworm wrote:
We're reversed in our house, any sewing needs doing my fella does it Embarassed

I like your style Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
helenhowes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh goodness me, you are good at trying to mend, I'm afraid that I'd happily go out and buy another Embarassed - there are some good sales on at the mo Rolling Eyes
fred22

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helenhowes wrote:
oh goodness me, you are good at trying to mend, I'm afraid that I'd happily go out and buy another Embarassed

Ay another blooming Southerner coming in here and flashing their wealth Laughing It's brand new Helen, what's so annoying is that 1)it's brand new 2) it's really really nice and we don't have hardly anything that fits both criteria these days and amazingly enough that's been the case since we got three dogs. Coincidence or what?
Anyway thanks to all of you for clear advice, I have sewn up the rip and put a patch on the inside. Was going to also post a pic of my handiwork but caught myself just in time. If I'm not careful this could end with me walking round with a tape measure around my neck and half moon glasses on
Mortissues

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're taking on extra work again I've a rip in my favourite pair of dog walking trews???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> And Now For Something Completely Different! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: