British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello from Max and The Wadley family
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicki Wadley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Here he is.... Reply with quote

[/url]
Nicki Wadley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: and here he is again Reply with quote

Nicki Wadley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: and again Reply with quote

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/22/tczt.jpg/
Nkosi-Kibibi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh he is just gorgeous Very Happy
Spotalot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a handsome chap......
I love his patch Very Happy
Nicki Wadley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol, have we been talking on Facebook today about crates?

Thanks both, he is handsome indeed but soppy as and a real baby still. We started training Friday and although it is hard work he is doing well and showing huge potential to be a lovely behaved young man.
Spotalot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicki Wadley wrote:
Carol, have we been talking on Facebook today about .

Lol we have indeed well errrr "spotted"
Nicki Wadley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good pun Carol! we are tempted with an extra sofa in the dinning room for Max. Thanks for your comments today, we have really appreciated the support we have had as new Dali owners. Max is asleep on the sofa next too me, his legs keep twitching, think he's dreaming
Anne Gurnsey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tip for night time crying is to be reassuring but make it as unexciting as possible as they advise you to do with a small baby. So I never turn on lights, never make a fuss but will get up and make soothing noises. I don't say "there there" as one would to a baby but would say "good boy , settle down" or whatever words you use to soothe him.

I have inside information as I am on the Welfare committee so know you are writing a blog for us to host and he seems to be getting better.

I also saw that his harness was chafing.

We in Welfare sell a harness and you will see plenty of posts on here about it. Spotalot, Maggi, Lottiensaf and Kisscass to name but a few swear by it and it doesn't chafe even if worn all day.

Good Luck
Nicki Wadley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anne and thanks for your comments, we had a trainer come to the house and now Max is walking (mostly) beautifully on a normal slip lead. It is hard work keeping him focused and pre-empting things that may distract him but he is doing well and we are thrilled at the improvement in such a short space of time. Hope you enjoy the blog
Berks-vanman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had Maggie for 5 weeks now, it seems like she has been here forever, I would say you will soon see the changes that you are trying to achieve.

She will sleep on a bed or, when we went away for a weekend together in a separate room. Accepting that only when it is me alone can she get closer, when my wife is there, she seems to know that the bed is not her place.

As for going out and leaving him, have you thought of taking with you if you are going out in a car? He could be there, but left for short periods.

Maggie comes with me everywhere, sleeps in either the car or the van, happy as Larry usually, though she did chew a seatbelt!!

Good times ahead with Max, was lovely on the rescue page, could have been tempted ourselves by hiom, had we not got Maggie.
jacksondal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nicki and welcome, these guys are just great with there help and tips.
Gavin_and_Elaine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum and loved reading your Blog.

As has been mentioned in previous posts, its all about perseverance and rewards / bribery Smile

Having moved around a lot while in RAF and having Dalmatians, it can be 'interesting' how different neighbours react to how active and vocal they can be at times.

What I found worked with Jasmine, was giving her a treat to 'look after' the house and then leaving for 30mins, 1 hour, 2 hours etc and each time on return, lots of praise for looking after house and another treat.

We never crated our first two (Jasmin & Oscar), however we did crate Ballach. This was mainly due to him liking cables (previous two never touched any plugs or cables).
The big problem we had was bed time, so we would put him in early with more treat (cheese or hot dog), turn of the TV and let him settle with us down stairs and then quietly go to bed, then leave him no matter.

He now also 'looks after the house' although since he is allowed on spare bed, anyone could walk in and out with TV etc.

If he barks in garden or while looking out of the window, we just talk to him and sort of shh him or ask who is walking down his road etc without asking lol.

Btw Max looks a handsome lad, good luck with the blog. Smile
Anne Gurnsey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just read the second week of Max's blog and see you've had to ditch the crate. I sent you a message via Valerie about his previous crate experiences so it is not surprising you had problems. I have a pet gate (taller than a baby gate) and use that to keep my dogs in the kitchen at night. They seem much happier with that than a solid door. I also use it if we have visitors at the door or people working in the house. They are quite happy to stand behind the gate and watch what is going on. max might be the same.

As to ten minutes a day exercise after castration for two weeks that seems to me far too little for a young lively dog. No wonder he is climbing the wall. Jeangenie may advise but I regard this as "modern vets thinking". My vet has never even told me not to exercise a dog after an operation and I have just used common sense.

Of course you don't want him running through undergrowth or involved in strenuous play but why not take long lead walks practicing his heel work.

I find obedience training in the garden helps get rid of the excitement and energy too as it requires concentration from the dog and is therefore tiring.

Good luck, I look forward to next week's news
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max's vet has now agreed that he can have normal amounts of on-lead exercise. Smile 10 minutes a day following minor, non-invasive surgery on a healthy young dog is just asking for trouble, and luckily the practice has seen sense!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: